Willoughby is an ancient settlement which was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Mention of the church appears as early as 1215 and the building has continued to grow and evolve since that date.
The West Tower is believed to have first been constructed between 1215 and 1280 and the sandstone font present in the church today dates from that period. Most of the present church, including the north aisle and the nave date from the 1450s onwards, with major renovations in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth centuries.
The beautiful stained glass windows, which demonstrate different architectural periods, are a living reminder of the church's history. The tower windows have tracery reminiscent of last quarter of the 13th century and also feature square label-stop carving with rosette on hood mould over the windows, a feature which is also found on the internal face of the tower and on the north porch.
The north aisle windows probably date from around 1350 and are early perpendicular in style with panel tracery. The nave arch to the tower has a different form to others in church, while the nave arcade in the building is reminiscent of the medieval period.
The chancel has had several periods of reconstruction, the first of which seems to have been in 1622 or 1662 when the box pews and pulpit were also constructed. The chancel was then rebuilt in 1779. The building was restored in1850 when the floor was raised at the back because of damp issues.